Haines Junction Community Campus
Haines Junction began as a highway camp in 1942. When the Haines Road was completed the following year, the community of Haines Junction was born. Today the region’s population nears 800. In 1986, a “mobile” campus was established to serve Haines Junction and Burwash Landing. One day every week the college instructor/coordinator would go on-the-road to Burwash Landing to deliver training needs. In 1988, due to heavy demand, programs and services were centralized in the James Smith Government Administration Building in Haines Junction. Today, the two part-time instructor/coordinators maintain training partnerships with Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, Kluane First Nation, White River First Nation and serve the four communities of Haines Junction, Destruction Bay, Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek.
The campus offers a wide variety of programming and delivers approximately 45 courses every year. There is high demand for FoodSafe, Standard and Wilderness First Aid, Trades Safety, Computers, Fine Arts, Music, Dance, Fitness, Gardening, Business, Southern Tutchone language, Trades Apprenticeship Math and Science, Journeyman Red Seal Carpentry, Natural and Cultural Interpretation Essential Skills and Skills for Employment. College Prep courses and Distance Education courses are also offered through video conference and on-line delivery.
Haines Junction Community Campus Address
School of Community Education and Development
152 Haines Road
Haines Junction, Yukon