Take Time To Explore Our Village!
The Champagne and Aishihik First Nations' Da Kų Cultural Centre opened in May 2012. "Our House" shares CAFN's rich culture and heritage through orientation exhibits, changing exhibition space, cultural programming and a retail store.
Da Kų also houses the Kluane National Park and Reserve Visitor Reception Centre and the Haines Junction Visitor Information Centre. The centres provide displays and exhibits, a high definition video presentation, trail information, backcountry travel registration and a wealth of information on activities and visitor services in Haines Junction and the region. Campfire talks and guided interpretive walks in the park are also provided throughout the summer.
The St. Elias Convention Centre houses the municipal offices and is home to a local history exhibit depicting significant events of the Kluane region since 1890. A growing collection of artwork including a Millennium Quilt, a Ceramic Tile Mural and a Silk Screen Wall Hanging are displayed in the centre and highlight local artistic talent. As part of the Haines Junction Permanent Art Collection, the centre is home to Yukon Animal Tracks by Anne Macaire – a series of 48 ceramic wall panels depicting actual animal tracts, and Kluane's Mount Logan by Nathalie Parenteau, a triptych acrylic painting celebrating Canada's highest peak. In 2009, the Skullpture Series by former Yukon artist Shane Wilson was acquired, comprising 14 hand carved bronze skulls and a set of carved bronze moose antlers. A large triptych of the Lowell Glacier by local artist Libby Dulac was unveiled in 2010.
Exterior artwork can be found at the James Smith Administration Building – check out the Homeward Bound dogsled sculpture designed and created by local resident Bob Braun. Perched atop the local waste management facility sign is a large metal raven sculpture, designed and created by Paul Baker. By the same artist, a truck box planter with three metal ravens is located at the main intersection, next to the RCMP station. On the opposite corner, the Village Monument sculpture illustrates local wildlife. Nicknamed "The Muffin", this is probably the most photographed spot in "The Junction".
One block away along the highway towards Whitehorse, Our Lady of the Way Catholic Church is another local landmark and visitor attraction. Built in 1954, the church uses parts from an old army Quonset hut left over from the highway construction days. Across the highway, St. Christopher's Anglican Church is an impressive eight-sided log church designed and constructed by a local craftsman. The church basement houses an impressive local art gallery during the summer months.
On the edge of town, Pine Lake is a popular spot for swimming, picnicking, fishing and boating with a beach and playground area that make it a perfect family destination. At the other end of town, just north of the Dezadeash River bridge, a parking lot on the west side of the Haines Highway is the starting point the 5.5 kilometer Dezadeash River Trail. For the more energetic, the fifteen kilometre Auriol Trail provides a close up look of the St. Elias Mountains and great views of Haines Junction. The trailhead is located 7 kilometres south of town on the Haines Highway.