Interested in running for the Village of Haines Junction Municipal Council?
The Association of Yukon Communities assists communities in their endeavour to achieve and sustain strong and effective local government, thereby improving the quality of life for all of the people of the Territory. They have posted some documents on their website to help you decide if you want to run as a candidate for municipal council. Click Running for Municipal Office.
Nomination day is Thursday, September 23, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon!
Nominations may be submitted by hand to the Haines Junction Municipal Office (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 and 1:00 - 3:30 p.m.) or faxed to 867 634-2008, until 12:00 noon on September 23, 2021. Nominations must be witnessed by either the Returning Officer (Paulette Schatz), Notary Public or Designated Municipal Officer (CAO Dan Rodin). It is the responsibility of the nominee to ensure that any faxed submission has been received.
You can find out more information about being a candidate in a municipal election at: https://yukon.ca/en/candidates
What to find out more about the role of Council? Check out the below links from the Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA):
- The joy of community-building: Why you should run for office
- One vote, many voices: Skills councillors need
- Decisions, decisions!: What I wish I know before I was elected?
- Timing is everything: Time commitment of being a councillor
- The learning never ends: tips for getting up to speed as a councillor
- Knowing your role: Governance versus administration
- Mayors and reeves: What's their role?
- Media Relations: tips for engaging with media
- Communication is Key: Communicating with residents and balancing priorities